2010 Iditarod - Ceremonial Start

Saturday, March 6, 2010 was the Ceremonial Start of the 2010 Iditarod on Fourth Avenue in Anchorage, Alaska. I was able to photograph for about an hour. There were lots of people downtown for the event. The weather was wonderful, sunny and around 34 degrees. It was a wonderful day for a dog race.


I was able to obtain a Media Pass for the event. The Media Pass enabled me to go behind the ropes where the dog mushers were getting ready. I was able to meet Lance Mackey prior to the race and got a photo of him and his lead dogs. It was a very hectic time and I appreciated him taking the time so I could snap a few photos. He is currently a three time Iditarod Champion and he is going for his fourth this year.

Since I had the Media Pass, I was able to lay down in the snow next to the trail and get some really nice angles. I met up with a fellow photographer on the Fourth Avenue/ Cordova Street corner where I was able to capture the dogs as they were coming straight at us. It was a wonderful experience.



While I was unable to go to the re-start in Willow on Sunday, I feel good about the photos I was able to get on Saturday.


 
Check out my website: www.rebeccabphotos.com

Comments