Gruene Food and Wine Festival 2014

Last Saturday, I went to Gruene, Texas for the first time. It was a cold, grey and wet morning as I set out from my home in Austin for the hour drive to Gruene.  Although the I-35 is not the most scenic of drives, traffic wasn't bad, so it was enjoyable.

My purpose for going to Gruene was to photograph the Gruene Music and Wine Festival for the individuals that do the Austinot blog and Facebook page. Thanks to them, I got into the event for free.
Upon arriving in Gruene, the first think I noticed was the old buildings. This is a historic town and although it was filled with people and cars, I could tell that this is a cool place to visit and I have made a note that I must go back to explore and photograph some of the old architecture. The parking lot was a muddy mess from the morning's rain but passable. I had about a half inch of mud on my tires when I parked. 

The event was about half an hour in when I arrived at 12:30, so there wasn't much of a line and the place was not packed. The wine purchasing area had a pretty good line, there was music playing on the stage, the air was filled with the wonderful smell of BBQ and the vendors had plenty of items in their booths. The people were in good spirits and the wine tasting tent was definitely where everyone was. With the entry price, everyone received a tasting glass and five tasting tickets. I was amazed at how many different wineries were at the event (all from Texas of course). The list numbered over thirty and there was a wide variety of wines, from fruity to more crisp and refreshing. I listened to what people were saying about the wines and it appeared that most were to their liking. As the day progressed, the wine tasting tent got packed and I was worried about getting stepped on, or have something happen to my camera so I went over to the live music stage. There was a lively group on the stage at one point, the main singer looked like an Elvis impersonator and they even did a few Elvis songs. The group is The Georges from San Antonio and I would recommend you go see them if you have the chance. They were really good and the crowd enjoyed them, some even got up in front of the stage and danced. 










All in all it was a fun day and I would recommend you attend next year if you have the chance.

Stay safe and have a great day,

Rebecca


Check out my website: www.rebeccabphotos.com

Comments